How to successfully achieve your goals in 2019.

Set goals you’ll actually achieve.




Hello loves, it’s new year again and if you are like most people you are already coming up with a list of resolutions that you intend to realize in 2019. If you are like most people, then chances are your good resolutions won’t make it to April Fools.

Somewhere along the way, you’ll quit and the year will be just like the previous one full of the same old disappointments. But we are not like most people or at least we don’t have to be. We want to be better and among other things we want to actually set goals we will achieve. So how exactly do we go about this?

Personally I cannot speak for anyone else, but 2018 has been a hard year. I am so glad 2019 is finally here. If it were a person, I would smother it with hugs and kisses all the while shedding a few grateful tears. It is pointless to get into the troubles of last year, but all I can say is that it wasn’t pretty.

However, I have been doing some thinking and I came to the conclusion that I can’t continue with things as they are. Usually, I am what you’d call a drifter. I go with the flow, I roll with the punches, and that kind of thing. For a while, this has worked. Things have somehow always gone my way, but not anymore if 2018 was anything to go by. So I decided to make plans and goals because lying around waiting for life to happen just won’t cut it anymore. With this in mind, I came up with the 3W1H questions to help me set and achieve my goals and this is what I am going to share with you today.

Basically, the 3W1H is a set of questions inspired by the 5W1H which I am sure you’ve heard about. It comprises of the questions; Why, What, Who and How. It is used a lot in research and journalism but that’s not what we are talking about today. What attracted me to this method was the logic and simplicity behind it which was why I chose it. It is very easy, so let me show you how it works.

So, in relation to our topic you start by identify the intended goal. I’ll use one of mine for the purposes of this article.

First identify the goal-> I want to pass my Mathematics for Economists exam. 

You can insert your own goal here, whether it is to lose weight or to get a promotion but please be specific.

Then you can now put the 3W1H into practice.

You start with:

Why?

 In this part, you question your need to achieve the goal. Ask yourself why this is so important. For me, passing my exam will enable me to graduate in October which is something that I really want. This question is all about finding the incentive to put in the work.

Who? 

Ask yourself, who are the people you need to include so that you can achieve your goal. In my case it is obviously my lecturer who I am terrified of but still… Find people to help you with your goal otherwise when it gets hard you may find yourself failing and giving up.

What? 

So you know what you want, why you want it, and the people to help you get it but how do you know you have succeeded? I know you are thinking, “I’ll know it when I see it duh!”
But what about the in between place when you have not reached your goal?In this case, you need to have performance indicators. These are the things that will show you are heading the right way. For me it will be through passing continuous assessment tests what will yours be?

How? 

This is the final question you have to ask yourself. It comes at the end in this post but it should be between the Why and the Who. It involves asking yourself what are the steps you are going to take to achieve your goal. The answers to this question are going to be your game plan. For example I am going to study for three hours a day and do a test at the end of the week to assess how much I’ve retained and so on.

So there it is. A simple, and easy method to follow just for you. Start this year the right way by setting some goals and see what happens. Let me know what your New Year goals are and how you intend to achieve them.

Happy New Year, and don’t forget to live the life you love.
M.

Comments

Popular Posts